The installation or maintenance of a gazebo can be difficult for individuals and is often left to these gazebo service providers, as they have the knowledge, equipment, and skills to ensure a quality finished product. Gazebos are great for outdoor activities and events can double as a bandstand or small outdoor stage or can just be used for rest in the outdoors. Whatsoever potential uses you can dream up for your very own custom gazebo, it’s very likely that gazebo installation and assembly services, gazebo construction services, and gazebo repair and maintenance services have experience in crafting solutions for just those purposes and keeping them in proper order!
In this article, we’ll discuss the difference between gazebo installation and assembly services, gazebo construction services, and gazebo repair and maintenance services, and talk about why they usually preferred to a general contractor. Provide an overview of the typical new gazebo design and installation process, highlight typical maintenance tasks to keep gazebos in tip-top shape, and address some of the most common repair needs for gazebos.
GAZEBO INSTALLATION AND ASSEMBLY SERVICES, GAZEBO CONSTRUCTION SERVICES, AND GAZEBO REPAIR AND MAINTENANCE SERVICES – DIFFERENCES
First, we should begin by discussing the differences between gazebo installation and assembly services, gazebo construction services, and gazebo repair and maintenance services. While many service companies who deal mainly in gazebos and similar outdoor structures may offer a full range of services across all of these categories, you will also encounter some that are far more specialized. Therefore, it is good to understand what each of these kinds of companies do, what their core competencies are, and therefore, who best to hire for a task.
When specialization exists, gazebo installation and assembly services are often used to install and assemble or construct “stock,” or pre-fabricated, cookie-cutter design gazebos that can be purchased from many big box home improvement stores. They generally don’t provide any custom design work, nor are they necessarily equipped to deal with gazebo maintenance or repair issues.
For more custom work, gazebo construction services are often the ideal solution. These companies may do the cookie-cutter gazebo unit installation as well, but typically offer a range of custom gazebo design services, too – from consumer ideas to drafting sketches or renderings, transforming them into architectural blueprints, obtaining materials, and building out the approved gazebo design for the consumer. This category of companies is part of the gazebo industry and makes up the most significant portion of specialized companies.
Lastly, the gazebo repair and maintenance services providers are, as their name implies, usually focused on gazebo maintenance and repair tasks. It is somewhat rare that they would not also be gazebo construction services, as repair and maintenance solely on gazebos is a reasonably limited field with a limited client base, and in most areas, would not provide substantial work volume. Quite often, if these experts are not part of a standalone gazebo repair and maintenance services company, nor a more comprehensive gazebo construction service, they may be multi-talented general contractors.
Typically, general contractors are an excellent choice for maintenance and repair tasks on gazebos. There’s nothing unique to a gazebo that would be outside of their skill set with similar outdoor carpentry and related construction. However, when it comes to designing or building a gazebo from scratch, we would still recommend gazebo construction services as the first, ideal choice, rather than relying on a general contractor, if possible. It will help ensure your vision for a custom gazebo comes to life as closely as possible to what you envisioned, and will be structurally and architecturally sound, to last for years and years of use and enjoyment.
GAZEBO INSTALLATION AND ASSEMBLY SERVICES, GAZEBO CONSTRUCTION SERVICES, AND GAZEBO REPAIR AND MAINTENANCE SERVICES – DESIGN AND INSTALLATION PROCESS
When it comes to designing a custom, new gazebo from scratch, there are several steps involved. These services will typically be conducted by gazebo construction services, as we discussed above, though other, broader categories of companies may also be involved. While the exact details and order of steps may differ based on many factors, the process can generally include:
- A customer consultation will be provided, where initial surveys of the location for the gazebo, a gathering of information from the customer as to what they are looking for regarding size, features, and similar will occur. That may include architect services, as some gazebo construction services do not have a formal process of architectural design, but rather a more ad hoc approach, as these structures are not nearly as complex (and are not enclosed/closed to the elements) as things like sheds or homes.
- Regardless of whether an architect is involved, gazebo construction services will typically take the information they obtained from the consultation and develop some basic plan for the gazebo, perhaps drawings or digital renderings, to get approval from the customer.
- If customer approval is not received, and changes are required, the cycle repeats until the gazebo construction services company has met the customer’s expectations.
- The site preparation for construction. It can include minor earth-moving work, to ensure a stable foundation on which to build the gazebo. Rarely more formal foundation processes, like concrete work, used. But packing the earth and providing a flat surface on which to build, tends to make the gazebo construction process more straightforward. Flat ground is not essential, as variable-length legs can be used (just as with a deck), but generally preferred by gazebo construction services and customers alike.
- The approved design is used as a basis for gazebo construction. Gazebo construction services provider will then purchase or deliver the necessary materials, and schedule an appointment (or multiple appointments, if required) to build the gazebo on the property. It is at this stage that the process parallels that used for pre-fabricated big-box store gazebos, by gazebo installation and assembly services.
- The gazebo construction services or gazebo installation and assembly services company will build the gazebo according to the gazebo design and customer’s requirements. That often includes carpentry, roofing, and finishing work. It may also include staining, waterproofing, painting, and related tasks. In many cases, especially with more complex or custom build gazebos, the gazebo installation and assembly service or gazebo construction service may also have to do some electrical work, as many gazebos have outlets, lights, and sometimes even embedded speakers for music playback or similar.
- When the gazebo construction is complete, the gazebo building companies will get final sign-off from the consumer that they are satisfied with the outcome. They’ll clean up the gazebo building worksite, and haul off any excess materials, trash, and equipment, and the gazebo construction job is then complete.
GAZEBO INSTALLATION AND ASSEMBLY SERVICES, GAZEBO CONSTRUCTION SERVICES, AND GAZEBO REPAIR AND MAINTENANCE SERVICES – ROUTINE MAINTENANCE TASKS
After a gazebo is building is completed, the work is not entirely yet done. Like any construction, appliance, or system, gazebos require routine and regular maintenance to maximize their lifespan and keep them in good shape. Some of the maintenance tasks that are undertaken most often by gazebo repair and maintenance services outlined below.
- Gazebo inspection of wood and structural members for damage, either physical (such as from impacts by tree branches, lawnmowers, or similar), insect-based (termites are bad news for wooden structures), or water/mold damage.
- Gazebo application of fresh coats of waterproofing sealant or other materials every two to three years.
- Repainting, sanding and refinishing/re-staining floors, beams, benches, and other gazebo wooden elements.
- Repairs and replacement of missing gazebo roof shingles or tiles.
- Gazebo cleaning or power-washing, which may be necessary due to mold or mildew growth, quite common in more temperate climates that get a good deal of rain/moisture, and gazebos that get a good deal of shade.
- Other gazebo repair and maintenance services tasks may include replacement of semi-permanent cushions or furniture elements built into the gazebo, electrical/lighting systems, or, in some cases, repairing or replacing roll-up screens or other built-in anti-insect comfort gazebo features.
GAZEBO INSTALLATION AND ASSEMBLY SERVICES, GAZEBO CONSTRUCTION SERVICES, AND GAZEBO REPAIR AND MAINTENANCE SERVICES – REPAIR TASKS
Even the most well-maintained gazebo will, from time to time, need something more than maintenance. Physical damage, or severe water/mold/mildew or insect damage, will often necessitate gazebo repair services. Also, damage to the gazebo, such as from a falling tree branch, weather events, or similar can require repairs. In all cases, gazebo repair and maintenance services are often the experts to call. General contractors may be able to help as well. It all depends on the type of issue or damage that needs to be repaired, as well as the kind of gazebo – that is, if it was a custom job, it’s probably best to contact the same gazebo construction services company who designed and built a gazebo.
By contrast, big-box stores, pre-fabricated gazebos rarely have any affiliated gazebo contractor or gazebo service company to take care of repairs. While the stores may retain gazebo contractors and recommend them to consumers, it is highly advisable that consumers look around – in many cases, for more straightforward or more minor repairs, it costs less to seek out a qualified general contractor to do the gazebo repair work, rather than leaving it to the big-box store and their contacts.